Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Ever-Changing Entryway













Now that the weather is getting wetter and the days are shorter I'm finding new places inside to take outfit photos and the entryway is one of them. Above are a few detail shots of the entryway 'storage box' (aka dresser which we use for hats, gloves, scarves, and 'entryway' things) as it is currently, but the design elements are always changing. I'm always moving things and changing little details, like adding a curiosity here or there. Both the dresser and the wood cabinet were free and I think they're such beautiful pieces! I lined the shelves of the cabinet, to help break up the wood a bit, with a gorgeous floral paper which I see now I didn't really get pictures of - next time! Abalone shells on the dresser hold trinkets like sage, amethyst and quartz as well as a collection of Rhode Island beach findings like sea glass, shells, and porcelain (thank you lovely Beetle!). The glass lid box holds a silver charm bracelet that my Grandfather brought back from across the world for my Grandmother; I could never wear it but it's fascinating to look at and play with!
The apartment I rent has been relatively unchanged since the 1930s (?!) so it has a lot of great quirks like an out of commission icebox in the kitchen. Also it the kitchen is a small, strange space that would be ideal for a second counter, prep space, eating space...something...and finally we've found SOMETHING! After shopping around it became clear we would need to McGyver something because the space is so awkward, anything too big blocks off the sink and the cabinets. Money has been so tight and we hadn't found any frugal solutions until....ta-da! New table and chairs! Yay! Some friends traded us for this neat vintage diner table and sparkly, cherry vinyl diner chairs and I love them! I thoroughly enjoy getting to sit at the little table for each meal, like this afternoon's Pho. I also found out that our kitchen was originally painted this same Aqua color! Kinda still wish it was...






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!