Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Land of the Delta Blues

Hello Memphis, Tennessee! I was so excited to finally see the Mississippi River, especially after my long harbored dreams of sailing down said river on a raft (thanks Huck!), that I kept asking where we could go swimming. However, I was quickly informed by my awesome tour guide that swimming and rafting were not an option and apparently quite dangerous..hey I don't know! I see river and I think swim! So I settled for seeing how far I could throw rocks in and dislodging timber to watch the current- satisfying indeed.
My first trip to the South was great! Staying with friends and extended family, meeting tons of great people, a side trip to the Spring River for some river relaxation and canoeing, amazing and delicious food, Elvis Elvis everywhere, lots of BBQ, finally singing terrible karaoke, shops and sights on Beale Street, like the Beale Street Flippers! And one completely new thing for me - FIREFLIES! Oh the fireflies! They are so beautiful and magical! I had the pleasure of staying with a good friend that was a great city guide - from neighborhood drives to 'ghetto-aid' to backlot bike polo - it was a grand ol time! 

For a few days during the stay there was incredible rain and thunderstorms - the first one started while we were visiting the Memphis Zoo! I was reunited with my camera battery (forgot for the first half of the trip, whoops!) just in time for the Zoo which was great but halfway through the sky began to darken and soon enough huge sheets of rain were flooding the place. Then lightning started flashing and suddenly the loudest thunderstorm clap I've ever heard in my entire life - scared me half to death - shook the ground and everything around. The nearest building that everyone had taken shelter in lost power so we opted to sit outside around the covered seal pool and watch the sky show. Eventually we made a break for it, got lost, and was saved by the tram out looking for stragglers. I was soaking wet and my straw hat got completely destroyed but there's no better way for me to have experienced a Southern summer thunderstorm, it was awesome!! Most of the animals were brought  inside but some, like the elephants, were loving it! Below are some shots of my favorite animals that we did get to see, and also of the beautiful Daisy Theatre on Beale Street. 


I crossed so much off my list of things to see and do in Memphis but there's still so many more! Next time I make it out that way I also really want to make a trip to Nashville..North Caroline..the entire East Coast - AH! There's so much yet to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!