Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DIY - Travel Trunk Revamp


Ok, I don't know if this constitutes as a "DIY" project because I didn't make the trunk or anything so I guess you would call it a DIY trunk upholstery? I love travel trunks and I actually collect them - one day I hope to have a legitimate stand up travel trunk but for now this works! I had the great fortune of finding this trunk as it was being left on the street (city streets can often be a goldmine!) so it wasn't even sitting outside for long. A girl was moving out of her apartment and decided not to sell it because it's a little banged up and held some old fabric and costume materials but the best part was she said I could keep everything in the trunk as well, which included this amazing fabric! The raw wood inside would snag at clothes so I figured, what better way to solve this problem then use the free fabric as lining! Ta-da! I used the "present wrapping technique" with a staple gun to secure the main areas, like the corners, and then a glue gun to round off and secure the edges by the metal edging.

I dont know how well this picture shows it but the fabric is super textured, soft and sturdy with velvet fleurs. In the top photo you can see a secret pocket that runs the length of the lid; the last thing I want to do is add some velcro across the pocket to secure it, or maybe some ribbon or something. Either way I haven't done this, hence the rough edge, but a secret pocket is super awesome! Since I'm living in limbo, the trunk is basically my room which of course means I had to go ahead and decorate.

 I, am, an obsessive knick knack collector slash collector of randomness (I got this from my mother). To me decorating means putting my treasures on display, grouping them, regrouping them etc. Here we have some geocaching trinkets, the lizard and the marble. Postcards! Best decorating tool ever, beautiful and versatile. The card on the left (ink) was a gift from my incredible artist friend, Yvette Fuentes. Stones for channeling good vibes, very important (another thing I got from my mother). The small polished rose quartz (stone of love and self love), was a wonderful gift from some very good friends to carry with me on my trip. Quartz crystal and chrysanthemum stone both essential to my 'new path' in life. River rocks, the red, green and orange, or just rocks I've found that I like. If anyone wants to know the specifics of any stone just message me, I'm happy to gush about it!

I got this Squidy flask a few years ago from Stellar Custom Images on Etsy and I love it! It's held up really well and they have tons of great images and different items which make great gifts. Below are my favorite postcards from the Road Trip, the ones I'll probably end up framing for my next real place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!