Sunday, April 21, 2013

Reflections

My last post, about three weeks ago, was very positive and it was a little hard for me to maintain that level of positivity recently. All in all, it's been a rough few weeks. Not to say that the world isn't without pain everyday but from a national level to a very small personal level, there has been too much bad recently. My thoughts are with the victims and those affected by the terrible acts of violence seen in Boston as well as the tragedy in Waco and my own hometown. Death will always been a side affect of life, at once being the most horrific and the most empathetic of axiom's and also one of the most complex symbiotic human experiences; for we each battle, we each have both lightness and dark raging within. This relationship can bring a community together but it can also isolate feelings of hopelessness, blind confusion, hate...then we each have to make the choice of how to battle with ourselves. 

These past few weeks I've felt a lot of hopelessness out there. Helplessness. And that is my dark side winning. Then, someone gave me flowers totally out of the blue. And I remembered to smile, and it felt so good, and I was reminded that there are still good people in this world. And then I remembered Dumbledore. Ok technically I remembered the words of JKR but whatever, it was just what I needed. 'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light.' I've been holding onto that and really trying to cultivate appreciation and love for allll those little things. I made myself a few little easy goals but they really do help, I've been taking photos as often as possible, in any little moment I can, being more in contact with friends/family, adventuring, sending packages and cultivating happiness!
I realized I enjoy sharing happiness just as much as I enjoying sharing in others' happiness. And that, it the light side winning ; ). Like an incredible view on a beautiful, clear day in Seattle. And the beautiful evening light in my kitchen, on a rainy day after getting surprise tulips. 


Every time I see the tulips I can't help but smile! They are really so beautiful, and I seem to have gotten several different types and colors, yay! I wish I could send them to people, but I think there will definitely have to be some guerrilla tuliping from me in the near future...
 I found I have a collection of pink on my windowsill.  

Tulips enjoying showing off in the light of the sunset
I wish that life could always be silly breakfasts and elevensies of tea and bites, but it can't, so I savored every moment of such a morning while tackling 12 impossible things (before lunch).  
It isn't selfish to take care of yourself. You need to take care of yourself. Find time for yourself and enjoy it however you can. Even if it means a fancy donut breakfast, or a teacup of mandarins. 






2 comments:

  1. dumbledore is always a great source of inspiration. 'alas, earwax!' <3

    max.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!