Friday, March 29, 2013

A Lesson in Reed Making


While I was in Arizona I got to help my friend while she made some of her reeds. Technically I helped process the cane while she shaped it, and that was only the first stage! Even though I wasn't very good at it, the process was really neat so I felt compelled to document it. The photo above is only a half finished reed but you can see its begun to take shape.
Cane soaking beforehand

Fitting the cane onto the barrel
The Profiler - let's do this!

Precise incisions are made

Then, we shave!

Shaving the cane down
Sliming the cane on the shaper
Shavings

4 comments:

  1. nice;)
    would you like to follow each oher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaah this is too freaking cool. I always wondered how they made the reeds, I bet it's really meticulous work since the reeds are so fragile as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a lot of work! The good thing about processing the cane is that it's actually really strong, I was actually too gentle trying to shave it and my friend was like, let me show you how its done haha!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!