Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Succulents!



I love having greenery indoors! Plants are the easiest way to bring your indoor space to life (heh, get it?!) especially if you live without an outdoor garden or space to use. Succulents are pretty much level one for hardiness/easiest and you can create them with just about any container you can get yer paws on. There's no wrong way to put a plant container together and you can either buy or forage materials if you're crafty *cough cough broke* like me! 

Containers that can drain are ideal but if you have an abundance of thrift store goodies/glass (said with a wicked sneaky smile) or other unique container, you can still use it! 

To help with drainage layer the bottom of your container with about 3/4"-2" of materials, depending on your container. You can use small pebbles, gravel, aquarium gems, seashells, etc. and I also recommend spreading a layer of activated charcoal, aka aquarium charcoal or activated carbon, across the bottom of your drainage surface. 

Care for succulents is easy as they are hardy lil plants and can deal with it if you forget to water them once and a while - also remember they really only need to be watered about once every two weeks or whenever the soil completely dries out. Light wise, succulents are happy just about anywhere, even in partial shade. I often move mine about the house so feel free to experiment with location. 

Plants! I only brought a few plants with me and a couple of those had died during the moves. Home Depot finally has a great selection of succulents and house plants so I picked up a few new ones to fill the empty jars of dirt in my window...which are totally sad looking. I also got a basil plant for the kitchen : )
My big terrarium used to be teeming with life but without my care over the summer, well...jar of dirt. Technically none of these are really terrariums, since terrariums are usually enclosed so they are self sustaining but terrarium is fun to say so go with it. 

When your ready to plant your succulents just slowly wiggle them out the the plastic container and roll/squeeze the plant in your hand a bit, allowing excess dirts to collect in your pot and the roots to loosen up. 

Fill your container most of the way with soil and dig out a little hole for your succulent, deep enough to cover all of the roots and a bit of the stalk. Most succulents can be potted together but allow some room for them to grow or plan to repot them. I added some spikemoss just to see if it would grow well so we shall see if it works! 

 Another great thing about succulents is that they can be grafted or regrown very easily. During my potting a few pearls from the string of pearls fell off so I tucked them inside this shell where they will grow an entirely new plant! 

There are so many neat and creative terrarium ideas out there; there isn't a wrong way to make one! You'll see in mine I've added some extra adornments, shells, crystals, found organic bits, and so on so just  have fun with it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to have my own indoor plants/plants on my balcony for a while now and I feel like I have to just bare down and do it now. This post was actually really helpful, and I feel like I'm not totally a fish out of water when it comes to how I'd keept plants alive now.

    Oh I love the little green army man, hehe

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!