Sunday, September 30, 2012

Simple things Sunday

Ahh, a simple sunny Sunday filled with catch up TV, delicious food, Halloween decorating, and the sweet sound of crushing defeat as my fantasy football team continues into its 5th week of undefeated glory. Recently, I've made the goal to recognize, appreciate and celebrate all the 'little' things in my life. I am so incredibly excited for the simple fact that I will, mostly, have Sundays off. I haven't had Sundays off in for.ev.ver. Over 8 years! Ok, obviously not since I've been traveling and moving and generally 'not working'...but now that I'm officially relocated, I'm back to the daily grind. It may seem like a small thing, but right now I'm really just excited to be having a consistent free day and fully intend to celebrate each one!

I'm welcoming the slow acclimation to my new settings...I got new job that I'm really enjoying, but still on the lookout for a place! In the interim I'm fortunate to have some amazing friends who are stellar housemates! One of the best things has been a wealth of knowledge and inspiration sharing, mostly on my part since I'm learning about some awesome (new to me) things, like spaghetti squash! Yes spaghetti squash, I'm telling you my roommate's ahh-mazing!
/source/
Another amazing thing my housemates have introduced me to - Dr.Who! Sundays we've been watching the new, recorded episodes (Currently watching The Angels Take Manhatten) from this season and I've been catching up from the beginning. I'm obsessed, this show is awesome! I was sold once I saw that Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss were contributing writers since they are the co-creators of my other favorite BBC shows, Sherlock, which our housemates hadn't seen so we had a good trade off!
/source/

I absolutely adore Benedict Cumberbatchs' Sherlock and became obsessed after being introduced to the second season at my parents' house this Spring. The BBC's version has just the right blend of modern technology, traditional Holmes and clever updates like 'The Woman' and the Richard Brooks persona (Richard Brooks = reichenbach, a nod to the episodes inspiration). It's just soo good! Needless to say...
/source/
We, the boy and I, are huge fans of all things Sherlock Holmes. I love the character/mysteries for so many reasons and I enjoy seeing different adaptations on the works, from literature to tv and movies. We have all of Arthur Conan Doyle's works and when we first started dating, we'd watch his collection of Jeremy Bretts' version. Aaaand I have to admit, I love Robert Downey Jr/Guy Richie's version as well. I haven't seen the American adaptation yet, Elementary, but perhaps I'll check it out. It may be too soon for me to tell but the update on Watson seems a little forced...US: we have to show you up, we'll make Watson a woman! I love Martin Freeman as Watson so I must just be biased. Either way, I can't wait for the third season of Sherlock next Spring and in the meantime I can see Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit, which I can't wait to see!
/source/
So remember to celebrate the little things today. Simple things that you are grateful for or looking forward to, the things that make you smile, even if they seem insignificant or frivolous, if they make you happy then that's all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!